Saturday, July 27, 2013

SPELUNKING IN KAMPO SIETE CAVES




SPELUNKING  IN KAMPO SIETE CAVES

I don't usually start my blogs in a melodramatic way. But I feel like starting it this way for some reason.
 
There was a point sometime ago when I felt uncomfortable being stuck in a room. I remember feeling uneasy while I was in this closed space with no one else around but me and a few still pieces of furniture. The uncanny silence made the feeling worse. And in just a few more seconds, I eventually became uneasy….I was so uneasy that I was sweating like hell while I was catching my breath.

Although, I did not take that too seriously, now that I think about it, I can’t help but think of the possibility that I must have been once a claustrophobic but of a lesser degree.

But instead of letting it get into my head, I started finding ways to get rid of that discomfort. I started conquering that fear. This was when I started spelunking.

It started rough. I was with my friends at work when we explored some caves in Camotes Island. It was supposed to be fun but I ended up losing my breath so I had to go back to the entrance. There, I spent some good few minutes breathing in and out until I was relaxed. Then, I got back in again.

The next try was some few years ago when I was in Bohol. It was a little better the second time around. Then things got better and better as I got to explore more and more caves here in Cebu and in other provinces all over the country.

In fact, just recently, I got the chance to explore the Seven Caves in Kampo Siete, Minglanilla. I have heard so much about the caves so I started doing my research online but there was a dearth of information about the place. I guess not to many people know about the caves. This made me thrilled.

This meant that the caves are not known to many and that only a few have explored them which added fuel to my excitement. Then one Saturday morning, I found myself spelunking in the Kampo Siete caves with some good friends Erl, Marj, Zen, Keith, Jay-R, and some youngsters who served as our guides for that day’s activity.

HOW TO GET THERE

You can go to citilink terminal and head there via V-hire for only 70 pesos (one-way). Just tell the driver to drop you off in Camp 7 National High School. The trip may take 50-60 minutes.

As soon as you reach the school, you can start asking the locals to help you find a tour guide. It’s always best if you contact your guide/s ahead of time so that they can prepare the gears. As they say, make sure you are forearmed before you go to the battlefield.

You can contact me at 09222-122-747 or 099-99-284-647. I have some relatives who live there who can help you guys find a guide. If time permits, I might be able to accompany you.


IMPORTANT REMINDERS

You have to endure a four-hour walk to complete all the seven caves so make sure you have a bottle of water and some food handy. Apart from that, you will also find yourself crawling to get through dark holes so make sure you have flashlights and extra shirts.

It’s also expected that you get some bruises and minor abrasions along the way. The trail to get to the caves is steep so make sure you have a good pair of shoes that can withstand the unforgiving trail.



















4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. thanks sangay....more to come...excited for your suggestion sa cebu tour....wala ko reply ky ala ko load sa sun...

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. thanks so much...hope you read the other posts and don't hesitate to leave your comments too...

      Delete